Home : Children's Issues
By 2020, we can help all of Ohio’s children become safe, educated, healthy, connected and employable. By working together, Ohioans can ensure a positive future for our families and our state. Our state’s economy is struggling, our unemployment rate is high, and too many of our children and families are dealing with social problems like child poverty, violence, infant mortality and school dropout rates.
• Fund the opportunity for a child to participate in a quality early educational program. Early care and education pays big dividends for society in the long run through improved math and language ability, better social skills and fewer behavior issues.
• Support quality afterschool and out of school time programs for children to keep them safe, reduce costly remedial school programs and grade repetition.
• Support Medicaid coverage for children and pregnant women.
• Support programs that promote food security for children.
• Support efforts to keep youth involved in the justice system at home to increase chances for success and reduce recidivism.
• Support expanding home visitation programs to serve all first-time parents.
• Support behavioral health services for children and families.
• Support outreach, enrollment and retention efforts to connect children and families to health coverage, income supports, and family-friendly tax policies.